Amazon announced a new promotion tool this past week, the Kindle Countdown Deals. Authors enrolled in KDP Select may be able to take advantage of this new program. It boils down to a time-driven discount promotion. Here are the basics of the new Kindle Countdown Deals.
- You earn your base royalty on the discounted book. In other words, if your original royalty is 70% on the retail pricing, you maintain the same royalty percentage during the temporary discount.
- Amazon launched a dedicated website at www.amazon.com/kindlecountdowndeals for readers to browse deals.
- You can monitor performance in real time. Amazon added another line to your “Reports” menu.
- Your book’s detail page will run a counter announcing the promotion and the time remaining to grab the deal.
You must meet a few conditions in order to enroll your book. Look for the specifics at https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=A2MJTCAYTCBNW2. The major knockout punches are:
- Regular prices must fall between $2.99 and $24.99
- You must have been enrolled in KDP Select for 30 days
- Your book price must NOT have changed for 30 days or more
It’s simple to enroll, although, when I initially tried to enroll my book, the site wasn’t working. It appears to be functioning now. You can go to your KDP Dashboard to start the process. Click the new “Manage Benefits” link to create your promotion.
Choose the appropriate “Kindle Discount Deals” button and continue on to the set up page.
Click “Add Promotion” and you’re all set. I’ve set up The Card to run with this promotion to test how it works. It will launch on November 12th and run for six days. For some unknown reason, the system would not let me launch right away, as the FAQ’s indicate I should be able to do.
In my opinion, anything new that Amazon wants to try that may bring additional attention to author’s books is a good thing. The free book promotion was a goldmine in its infancy and as we know, it has lost some of its luster. I’m hopeful that this program may give the same kind of bump that we experienced with the introduction of KDP Select’s free promotions.
According to the Amazon website, some books will be featured on the Kindle Countdown page, which has a range of automated merchandising campaigns to help readers find deals based on attributes including genre, most popular, recommendations and more. Currently, this is available only with Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk.
Are you going to enroll your book in this new promotion? If so we would love to hear how it worked for you. I’ll be sure to report back with results on my title that is enrolled for later this month.